In the event you’ve been following me for some time, you understand I am an enormous fan of shared actions. Nonetheless, I’m conscious that many builders appear to be afraid of those shared actions. On this article, I will attempt to demystify “shared motion”, and reply a couple of questions.
To begin with: the most important benefit of a shared motion is its reusability. Any time you want an motion that will probably be used a number of occasions in a mission, or that you simply plan to make use of in a number of initiatives, it is price contemplating utilizing a shared motion. Listed here are another causes. You may skip this half and are available again to it later:
- When utilized in a mission, you employ cases of the identical shared motion. In the event you choose to make use of duplicate and modified superior actions, the file measurement will probably be bigger. This may be in comparison with utilizing a number of cases of the identical graphics/audio clip.
- Shared actions seem within the mission’s Library with all of the options of the Library’s property: what number of occasions the makes use of, on which occasions, and many others.
- You may switch an current superior motion to a brand new mission by copy/pasting the article triggering the motion: a button, a click on field, a TEB (success/final try occasion), a slide (enter/exit occasion) . If variables are used within the superior motion, they are going to be created within the new mission. Nonetheless, in lots of instances, superior motion instructions will revert to Proceed if what they confer with shouldn’t be accessible within the new mission. Instance: lacking slides for navigation instructions, lacking states and even multi-state objects…
- Transferring a shared motion to a brand new mission is straightforward: drag the motion from the unique library to the brand new mission’s library. Variables that aren’t used as parameters will probably be created (just like copy/paste for superior actions). Because the shared motion shouldn’t be tied to any occasion, you do not have to fret about setting the whole lot up earlier than forwarding the shared motion. In each instances, person variables that aren’t outlined as parameters will probably be created within the new mission.
- There isn’t any built-in method to doc superior actions in Captivate. Nonetheless, a shared motion lets you add an outline to the motion and to any parameters used.
There are some limitations to shared actions:
- It’s not potential to set off a shared motion from a hyperlink.
- You can not assign a shared motion to a number of occasions without delay, as is feasible for a sophisticated motion.
Please word: not all superior actions are appropriate as shared actions. In a current article on “Tip after x failed clicks”, I defined a use case supposed to function an introduction for Captivate customers new to superior variables and actions. You may check out this primary weblog put up:
It is strongly recommended to create and check the motion as a sophisticated motion earlier than creating the shared motion. That is the superior motion created within the talked about weblog put up, triggered by the Success occasion of the “dangerous” endpoints (5) within the instance:
Two person variables had been used:
- v_attempts tracks variety of button/hotspot clicks
- v_failure is used within the failure return message and permits the content material of this message to be modified. The default failure message will probably be changed with a touch message after the set variety of clicks.
Shared motion of the primary model
Open the superior motion within the dialog field, use the Save as shared motion button, and this dialog field will seem:
Within the screenshot you see that I’ve crammed within the description. It is very important do that, attempt to clarify briefly sentences what precisely the motion will do. It could appear to be a waste of time, however for those who use the motion once more a couple of months later, you may perceive why I am insisting on it.
In the primary half you see the “settings”, and on this explicit case, all of them present the inexperienced tick. This implies it can save you the shared motion as is. The outcome will probably be that the parameters stay static, can’t be modified if you connect the motion to an occasion. Additionally they will not want an outline. Compared with the superior motion:
- The outline of the motion, which is unattainable for a sophisticated motion.
- Its look within the mission library with all of the performance of different property.
- For reuse in one other mission: you’ll be able to drag the shared motion from this library opened in an exterior library to the Mission library of the brand new mission. For superior motion you have to to repeat/paste one of many dangerous hotspots into the brand new mission.
- You may’t connect the shared motion to all dangerous hotspot occasions without delay, it’s a must to do it one after the other. The superior motion will be hooked up to a workflow by choosing all dangerous entry factors.
- For an additional hotspot slide in the identical mission, will probably be simpler to create a replica superior motion and alter the trace textual content (v_failure variable worth).
Second model Shared motion
Within the first screenshot, I marked two parameters with a query mark:
- Setting ‘2′: literal indicating the variety of mistaken clicks required earlier than displaying the trace.
- Setting ‘Click on on the ‘Responsive mission’ icon: the brand new (literal) worth of the v_failure variable to switch the failure textual content with the Trace textual content.
You may make the static parameter dynamic by checking the field and coming into an outline for the parameter. For me, an important candidate is the Trace textual content. Making this parameter dynamic means which you could enter a distinct trace textual content for every new attachment of the motion to an occasion. Warning: the proper tick will solely seem after validation of the outline of the lively parameter:
This makes the motion versatile: you solely must enter the trace textual content as a parameter every time you connect the shared motion to an occasion.
- Apart from the outline of the motion, the which means of the parameter will seem every time you apply the shared motion.
- Its look within the mission library.
- Reusability in any new mission stays.
- The file measurement will probably be much less in comparison with utilizing superior duplicate actions.
- You may change the trace textual content for every occasion.
- You can not affiliate the shared motion with a number of occasions without delay.
- It’s essential to fill within the textual content parameter with every attachment (copy/paste is feasible)
Third model Shared motion
You may make the motion much more versatile by declaring the variety of false clicks as a dynamic parameter. Through the use of this shared motion, it is possible for you to to vary the variety of mistaken clicks earlier than exhibiting the trace as a substitute of the failure message. Like rising the quantity for a extra difficult hotspot slide. I needn’t clarify this screenshot anymore:
I can write one other weblog put up to show the usage of the shared motion defined right here as a template for superior actions extending the Trace message to graphical assets.
If you wish to be taught extra about utilizing cut up actions, please take a look at my “crash course” on methods to use a cut up motion. For each classes, you should have each a video strategy and a step-by-step strategy, your alternative. You may nonetheless obtain the samples.
To get across the “Con” of cut up actions that may’t apply to a number of occasions without delay, bear in mind which you could simply create a sophisticated motion from a cut up motion. Right here is an instance: