Earlier this afternoon, the New Jersey Devils have announced their rosters for this year’s rookie camp and the 2022 Prospect Challenge. The Devils will play three video games on this 12 months’s Prospect Problem, beginning with Montreal Friday evening, Buffalo Saturday evening and Boston Monday morning. Sure, morning. Like at 10 a.m. The Devils web site will broadcast all three problem video games. The New Jersey Devils squad has 28 gamers, together with a couple of visitor forwards. Here’s a breakdown of the listing.
Guardians (4): Nico Daws, Akira Schmid, Tyler Brennan, Isaac Poulter
Daws and Schmid have been high goaltenders with Utica final season, and Daws had an prolonged call-up in 2021-22 for 25 video games. I am a bit shocked that he qualifies for this match, however I will not complain about additional minutes for a younger participant. Brennan was the one Devils goaltender chosen within the 2022 draft. Isaac Poulter was signed a two-way contract by Utica in June. He played for the Swift Current Broncos of the Western Hockey League for four seasons and has arguably been their starter for the previous two full WHL seasons. He posted his greatest season in total save proportion final season with 91.1% in 49 video games for a poor team from Swift Current. We’ll see how he evolves in skilled hockey. Do not be shocked if he finally ends up with ECHL’s Adirondack simply to maintain him energetic in 2022-23. I anticipate these 4 to be shot over the subsequent three video games.
Defenders (9): Kevin Bahl, Nikita Okhotiuk, Reilly Walsh, Simon Nemec, Michael Vukojevic, Topias Vilen, Jeremy Groleau, Filip Bratt, Jarrod Gourley
The largest identify on this group is 2022 second total choose Simon Nemec. This match shall be his first look with the New Jersey Devils. I anticipate plenty of eyes shall be on him all through this rookie camp and, later, the Devils preseason. Bahl, Okhotiuk, Walsh, Vukojevic and Groleau have been mainstays at Utica final season. With possibly one (two?) spots up for grabs and establishing order on the depth chart, there shall be loads of competitors in camp to see which comet is forward of the opposite. This competitors begins Friday night. Like Nemec, this match may also be Vilen’s first sequence of matches as a Satan since he signed his ELC final season.
The 2 much less acquainted names are Filip Bratt and Jarrod Gourley. Bratt is certainly Jesper’s brother. He appeared on the Devils improvement camp this summer season. Filip signed a bilateral AHL deal in July. He is 20 years outdated, not tall (5’10”, 179 kilos), and was only productive with AIK U-20 last season. Gourley is a bit older (23), a lot taller (6’2″, 212 kilos), went through the NCAA where he didn’t produce much, and signed with the group earlier. He transferred to UConn for his senior season after three seasons with Arizona State College. Somebody within the group had his eye on him when he signed an ATO with Adirondack after the Huskies’ season led to March. He performed 10 video games with them and was additionally loaned out to Utica for 4 video games. Gourley did well enough to earn a one-way contract with Utica in the AHL in June. With a crowded blue line – which does not embody veterans like Robbie Russo and Tyler Wotherspoon – the competitors only for the Comets shall be fierce. This camp and the Utica camp will go a great distance in figuring out whether or not Bratt and/or Gourley begin 2022-23 as a Comet or a member of the Adirondack Thunder.
Forwards (15): Alexander Holtz, Nolan Foote, Aarne Talvitie, Graeme Clarke, Brian Halonen, Chase Stillman, Josh Filmon, Garrett Van Wyhe, Noah Corson, Luke Bignell, Daniel D’Amico, Zack Jones, Billy Jerry, Xavier Mother or father, Brody Crane
Of the 15 forwards, 6 have entry-level NHL contracts on the time of this writing: Holtz, Foote, Clarke, Halonen, Stillman and Talvitie. The hope is that Holtz will push for an NHL job earlier than this season. The others are extra about who can enhance, though the time could also be shorter for a few of them. In spite of everything, Halonen and Talvitie are each 23 and Foote turns 22 in November. Filmon was drafted by New Jersey in 2022 NHL Draft; the Devils have his rights for 2 seasons so he does not want an entry-level contract but. The remainder of this group wants a bit extra data. (Participant names within the following listing check with their Elite Prospects profile.)
- Xavier Parent – Mother or father was in improvement camp with the Devils and signed an AHL contract in July with Bratt. He completely left for Sherbrooke of the Quebec Main Junior Hockey League final season with 51 objectives and 106 factors in 65 video games this season in addition to 9 objectives and 22 factors in 11 playoff video games. He was a bit above a points-per-game fee within the pandemic-shortened 2020-21 season for the “Q” and had manufacturing points earlier than that. Mother or father just isn’t tall at 5’8″ and 170 kilos and his previous manufacturing suggests his brilliance was extra the results of being older and used to the league in comparison with his junior friends. Nonetheless, he could have his probability to see if his recreation can deal with the professional stage with Utica or Adirondack.
- Garrett Van Wyhe – Van Wyhe has been a powerful bottom-six hand for the Michigan Wolverines for 4 seasons. He was by no means a very productive participant within the NAHL or USHL earlier than going to Michigan. At Michigan, his level totals have been 10, 10, 5, and 12. He works arduous, he helped steadiness a really sturdy Wolverines workforce throughout his school time, and he caught the eye of Utica by signing a two-year contract in the AHL after Michigan’s loss to Denver within the Frozen 4 semifinals.
- Noah Corson – Noah is certainly the son of Shayne Corson (and a nephew of Darcy Tucker) and he’s already a companion on the age of 24. The ahead began with Moncton within the QMJHL, was traded to Drumondville, dropped the Junior A LQJHL with Granby then transferred to St-Gabriel-de-Brandon, went to the AJHL to play for Grande Prarie, signed first to Sweden for first of two groups in 2019-20, then completed 2019-20 with SPHL’s Evansville, joined Knoxville for 2020-21, then signed with AHL’s Chicago Wolves however largely performed for Norfolk of the ECHL in 2021-22. He signed a two-way contract with Utica for this season last month. If nothing else, he’s nicely traveled.
- Luc Bignel – Bignell is a middle who performs for the College of Guelph in Canada. Sure, a Canadian college participant. Not like the NCAA, he can (and is) becoming a member of the Devils on a trial foundation for this camp. Bignell performed three seasons with Barrie, was by no means drafted and was definitely useful to the Colts (he was their captain in 2019-20) however not sufficient to garner consideration after his junior season ended with the canceled 2020-21 OHL season. With 6 factors in 14 video games in 2021-22 (and the OUA All-Rookie Team), I anticipate Bignell to make up the numbers. However something good he can present will help him have extra eyes on him when his time with Guelph involves an finish.
- Daniel D’Amico – One other participant invited to the Devils rookie camp is Daniel D’Amico of the Windsor Spitfires. He simply completed his fourth season with the Spits within the final 5 seasons (bear in mind: the OHL canceled 2020-21) and he is been fairly productive since his second. Final season, the 21-year-old was the most efficient with 32 objectives and 58 factors in 67 season video games and 11 objectives and 21 factors in 25 playoff video games (Windsor misplaced within the 2022 OHL Finals ). That is D’Amico’s second strive with an NHL workforce as he was part of the St. Louis camp last season. As with different overtaking prospects, the aim is to get out of it with some type of deal. We’ll see if he does.
- Zack Jones – Like D’Amico, Zack Jones is an older junior participant with the Devils on tryout. Not like D’Amico, Jones’ time with the Halifax Mooseheads of the QMJHL wasn’t as fruitful. He performed within the Boston space earlier than making the bounce to the “Q” in 2019-20. With the Mooseheads, he averaged simply over half some extent per recreation. I believe he is right here to make up the numbers until the 5’9”, 172-pound middle can present much more than his junior profession suggests.
- Billy Jerry – Jerry got here by means of the Wisconsin youth groups, performed for Madison within the USHL and joined RPI within the 2017-18 season. The striker was not so productive and what would have been his closing 12 months was disallowed because the Ivy Leagues – and ECAC – had no locations for 2020-21. He transferred to Lengthy Island College, he was named their captain, and he arrange 14 goals and 31 points in 34 games to lead the Sharks in points in 2021-22. He joined Adirondack in March on an ATO, performed 15 video games and was re-signed by the Thunder in August. He is there to do some additional work, though he is a member of the group. How he does as a rookie with the Thunder over a full season can present whether or not he has a future in Utica or not. The works shall be put in place now.
- Brody Crane – Crane is one other junior participant invited to the Devils camp. Nonetheless, he’s solely 18 (he turned 18 in Might) and remains to be eligible for the draft. Crane simply completed his rookie season with London with 8 objectives and 15 factors in 56 video games. The left winger apparently likes to go contained in the attacking zone in line with his EP profile’s quick acknowledgment textual content. Brock Otten had Crane 44th on his top 50 OHL players for the 2022 NHL Draft, noting that he was aggressive till the foul and possibly somebody who can flourish subsequent season with the Knights. I do not suppose the Devils can signal him (I am undecided not less than?), however not less than they will get a detailed take a look at what he might do.
For forwards, the first focus shall be on gamers signed to the NHL. I’d anticipate them to hold the load in Prospect Problem matches and lead by instance in all different classes earlier than full camp begins subsequent week. With the aim of establishing a season with Utica, Adirondack or returning to junior (or in Bignell’s case, the College of Guelph), these video games maintain plenty of worth. We’ll see how they fare and the way the coaches will use these gamers.
One closing word: Right here is the All Concerning the Jersey Prime 25 Below 25 2022 rankings for all Rookie Camp gamers who’ve been ranked: #7 Nemec, #8 Holtz, #13 Daws, #16 Walsh, #18 Bahl, # 19 Foote, #20 Okhotiuk, #23 Clarke, #24 Stillman, #28 Vukojevic, #29 Talvitie, #30 Vilen, #33 Brennan, #34 Halonen, #38 Filmon, #48 Groleau.
Who on this group are you trying ahead to performing on the Prospects Problem? Who do you suppose must have an excellent rookie camp to get consideration at subsequent week’s camp? Please go away your solutions and different ideas on the Devils camp rookie roster within the feedback. Thanks for the studying.